Sunday, October 18, 2009

Days of swine [flu] and [stuffy] noses.

Yep. The fevers and the coughs and the weakness and the achiness and the plague flag flying above our home all come together in two letters and two numbers that never before seemed quite so menacing: H1N1!

A few days ago, I talked to an overworked but polite nurse, who, after listening to my description of Olivia's illness, offered this assessment: "It sounds like she has the flu that's been going around."
My (eyebrow raised) response -- "By 'that flu that's been going around,' do you mean the one that I keep reading about and seeing on television?"
"Her symptoms are consistent," she replied, followed by instructions on how to "treat the symptoms" and "watch for warning signs" (i.e., dehydration or respiratory distress -- neither of which we're seeing to any concerning degree, gratefully).

I'd like to quip, now, about the overblown, overexposed virus that has infested the airwaves almost as insidiously as it has infested our bodies....I'd like to joke about the bright side of sickness and the quiet of a household besieged....I'd like to offer you a candid glimpse into the lives of the two sweet, couch-ridden big kids whose travels abroad (to school and such) have underpinned those letters and numbers with such meaning....I'd like to, but I feel....a cough coming on. So I should sleep.

So far, no sick babies! Barring some seriously thick snot (which is only to be expected this time of year) seeping from their otherwise perfect noses, Girum, Tarikwa, and Taye seem to have staved off the scourge of '09! Let's hope they keep going strong!

4 comments:

missy said...

loved this post. you're a great writer...even while afflicted! as one who has had the swiney stuff myself, i could totally identify.

sandy said...

I'm praying for you all! If you need reinforcements, give me a call. Love to everyone

Cindi Clark said...

Take care. I'm standing watch...waiting for the call. I love you! So sorry you are all so sick!

Anonymous said...

Hi there...I came across your blog looking for a picture to use on a poster advertising a fundraiser for a friend who homeschools and is adopting siblings from Ethiopia! I just love the picture of your family's hands and was wondering if you'd mind if we used it for that. I'd need you to send me the picture as the larger file that at was if you'd be okay with it! You can email me back at isaacandcorrine@sasktel.net. Thanks a lot and love your blog!
Corrine